||Southern Arkansas University
||Exercise Science ; Graduated December 14, 2012, with A.A. in General Studies
On field accomplishments
- Won the 2012 Great American Conference championship individual title in leading the Muleriders to a third-place finish, and guided the squad to four top-10 finishes on the season and the inaugural GAC Sportsmanship Award for men’s cross country.
- Ran a career-best 24:39 in the 8K and set the new school record in placing second at the SAU Lois Davis Invitational, and ran a career-best for the new school record in the 10K at 30:47.3 in placing 14th at the NCAA Division II Central Region championship in Joplin, Mo., missing qualifying for the NCAA Division II national championship by one spot.
- Completed the 2012 season with six top-14 finishes in seven meets, including winning the GAC championship, placing second at both the SAU Lois Davis Invitational and East Central Tiger Chase, finishing fifth in the Oklahoma State Cowboy Jamboree College Division, placing 13th at the Missouri Southern State Southern Stampede, and concluding the season at 14th in the NCAA Central Region championship.
Awards and honors
- 2012 Honors: NCAA Division II All-Central Region;
- U.S. Track & Field Cross Country Coaches Association All-Central Region;
- Great American Conference Individual Champion – First place (25:28.3);
- Great American Conference Runner of the Year;
- First Team All-Great American Conference;
- Three-time Great American Conference Runner of the Week.
- 2012 cross country All-Academic honors have not been released yet, but Hammer is a two-time U.S. Track & Field Cross Country Coaches Association All-Academic selection;
- A member of the 2011-12 Great American Conference All-Academic Team;
- A two-time selection to the Gulf South Conference Academic Honor Roll;
- Member of the SAU President’s List (4.00 GPA)
- Four-time member of the Dean’s List (minimum 3.50 GPA).
- Volunteer at Marshall Physical Therapy Clinic in Magnolia assisting with out-patient and in-patient therapy;
- Member of the Ace Project that works on reconstructing different areas on the SAU campus;
- Served on the SAU Student Athlete Advisory Committee school volunteer service program where he spoke to high school students about life success;
- Organized and directed the Special Olympics basketball day program;
- Worked with senior citizens on aspects of physical therapy;
- Served as an advisor for SAU’s Leadership Academy program.
Comments from his or her head coach
Mickey is one of the top student-athletes in the history of SAU athletics. His character, dedication and determination set him apart from most others, not to mention the strength of his athletic talent. His success and contributions to the SAU cross country team over the past four years has been immeasurable. He will be missed, but his legacy won’t be forgotten.
Head Cross Country Coach Tim Servis
← back to home